I know what you are thinking. Yes I do.
Ok. Maybe I do not know exactly what you are thinking, like, right now. But I do know that you think of chocolate at least once a day. And a chocolate cake at least once every couple of days.
What did you say? Thats me, not you? Ah. Well, you do know me by now, don’t you…
I admit. I think of chocolates and chocolate cake/brownie/muffin/souffle/mousse at least once a day. Most of the times, it spills over into taking up my entire day.
So last Friday, I was browsing through my favorite food blogs when I came upon Smitten Kitchen’s Spice Infused Brownies. And I just had to make something similar for me (and of course, M).
I took the liberty of changing the recipe a bit – I made a cake instead of brownies, and I used my all-time-favorite nutella to coat the cake, more as a substitute for any frosting. So here it is…
Spice Infused Nutella-Coated Chocolate Cake:
- 1.25 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons nutmeg powder & 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 0.75 cups canola oil or any vegetable oil
- 0.5 to 0.75 cups milk (depending on how moist you want your cake to be – more milk for more moistness)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Nutella – as much as you think is enough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Slather a bit of oil on the sides and bottom of baking pan – I used a pretty pie-pan as that was the only clean one!
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and spices together.
- Whisk the 2 eggs. Then add the vanilla, oil & milk and stir until combined. Add the sugar and whisk till all is combined.
- Using a spoon or a spatula, fold in the wet & dry ingredients together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes,or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake cools, tip out onto a serving dish and slather nutella on the top of the cake. It will look like so:
- Cut out a big slice and serve!
Here’s my slice. A thing of beauty!
I digged in :)
Do make some soon! And let me know how it goes…