I fell in love with strawberries anew!
Who can say they have never been seduced by the red freshness and plump juiciness?
Look at that!
And I rediscovered this aphrodisiac over the weekend when I saw a recipe on foodgawker.com. And it struck me – What a perfect way to pamper my M, especially with the one-year-long-distance-heartache that is about to follow in a few months. I have decided it will be weekend-after-weekend of culinary pleasure for my better half in the coming weeks.
The recipe I am going to post now is phase-1. :) I adapted the ingredients and steps from ShootsAndRoots.
Pre-Valentine’s Day Strawberry Cake (Tried and Tested!):
It cannot get simpler than this. One of the easiest and quickest cakes I have ever baked. Trust me!
- 1/4 cup canola or plain vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain flour (maida) – not self rising, just all-purpose.
- 1 and 1/2 full teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 250 grams strawberries, cut into quarters
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Mix the egg, milk, vinegar and oil in a big bowl.
- Add the sugar and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder, and mix well with a whisk till smooth.
- Pour the batter into a round baking dish, which has been buttered or oiled a bit on the sides and bottom to prevent the cake from sticking. I ended up using a pie-pan. It looked cuter in it :)
- Now mix one tablespoon sugar with the quartered strawberries. Arrange the strawberries on the top of the batter, pushing each piece of strawberry in a bit into the batter.
- Bake it in the oven at 180 degrees for 60 minutes or till the cake is done and a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
The consistency is just right – light and crumbly and moist-jammy when you hit a strawberry. Beautiful and easy to make. I am going to bake it when I have guests coming over next for sure.
And fall in love all over again..
Filed under: An Evening Out, Cupcaked!, Desserts, Food, Healthy, I bake now!, Lunch/Supper, Recipe, Seasons | Tagged: cake, dessert, fruit cake, light cake, love, lust, straw, strawberries, strawberry, strawberry cake, valentine | 36 Comments »